What’s a delicious soup recipe that is not only nourishing, but filled with healthy vegetables? This Zucchini Tomato Italian Sausage Soup checks all the boxes for a comforting and satisfying dinner. It’s a perfect recipe to eat on low carb day with only 21 net carbs per serving. To bump up your carbs for a regular macro day, add some cooked rice or gluten free pasta to your bowl. Be sure to try this soup on a cold winter day and enjoy!
▪ 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
▪ 1 pound Italian sweet sausage, removed from casings (can sub turkey sausage)
▪ 1 cup diced celery
▪ 2 cups chopped onion
▪ 2 cups red bell pepper, diced (about one large pepper)
▪ 2 garlic cloves, minced
▪ A pinch red pepper flakes
▪ ¼ cup tomato paste
▪ 2 pounds zucchini cut into bite-sized pieces
▪ 5 fresh plum tomatoes, diced
▪ 1 teaspoon kosher salt
▪ ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
▪ 2 quarts (2 l) low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
▪ 1 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
▪ 1 or 2 pieces of parmesan rind (optional)
▪ 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
▪ 1 fresh thyme sprig
▪ Extra Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
1. In a large pot or large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage meat and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned – approx. 5 minutes.
2. Once the Italian sausage meat has browned, add onion, celery, and bell pepper and sauté for four minutes.
3. Move the meat and vegetables to the sides and lower the heat to medium (If your pot isn’t large enough, remove the meat and veggies to a salad bowl, you’ll add them back afterward). Add garlic, pepper flakes, and tomato paste to the center of the Dutch oven and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add tomatoes, zucchini, salt, pepper, chicken broth, Parmesan rind, and Parmesan cheese along with fresh basil and fresh thyme and stir well to combine.
5. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook covered until the vegetables are tender – about 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Remove the soup from heat and take out the Parmesan rinds. Serve the zucchini tomato Italian sausage soup immediately with more fresh basil and Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!
Recipe and 📸 cred: www.eatwell.com.
You can find nutritional information in My Fitness Pal under Healthy Zucchini Tomato Italian Sausage Soup,
Did you hear? We’ve introduced all new meal plans for our Burn Fat and Feast members in phases 1, 2, and 3, Each day and week is planned out with healthy and macro friendly recipes for simpler meal planning. The best part is that new recipes are introduced every month once you enter Phase 3. There is no more wondering what to cook each week because it is already done for you!