Fall is here….colder weather, warmer foods! Some foods simply remind me of holidays and growing up. My dad is a HUGE apple pie fan and as I got older, I learned how to make my own. It was a simple recipe and he loved it…BUT it was loaded with sugar and flour. Since becoming pretty much Paleo myself after intestinal issues, I was on a mission to find a healthier version that we all enjoyed just as much. I SCORED with this Gluten-Free Apple Pie recipe. My husband repeatedly asks for this dish for every possible occasion 🙂
Are you looking for a healthier but just as delicious apple pie this Thanksgiving? This Gluten-Free Apple Pie recipe is the answer! It tastes great, and believe it or not – it’s still healthy. The gluten-free crust will surprise you, and you can enjoy a slice for under 400 calories. Try it this year for turkey day and see what your family has to say! This recipe also fits PERFECTLY with my Burn Fat and Feast program. My clients have raved about this one on FEAST DAY!
Keep eating clean, ladies… and enjoy your apple pie too!
2 cups almond flour
½ tsp unrefined sea salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 whole egg
Zest of one lemon
3 lbs tart, crisp baking apples
2 Tbsp almond flour
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp each, ground cloves, nutmeg, allspice
2 Tbsp light, unsalted butter, chilled and diced
½ cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place almond flour and sea salt in a food processor, pulse to combine, then add wet ingredients and zest, and blend until a ball of dough is formed.
2. Press into a 9” pie plate, cover with a damp cloth and set aside.
3. Fill a large bowl with cold water and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
4. Peel, core and slice apples one at a time, and drop them into the lemon water. This will keep them from turning brown.
5. Once apples are soaking, drain water from the bowl and pat apples dry with a clean cloth.
6. Add remaining ingredients, including remaining tablespoons of lemon juice, to apples and toss well to combine.
7. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake for 45-55 minutes, until the crust is golden and the mixture is bubbling on top.
8. Remove and let cool for one hour before serving.
I hope you enjoy this gluten-free apple pie as much as my family and I do! And if you need some motivation to keep moving during the winter months, check out my online training programs at refinedlifefitness.com!